For the admission to the Master Program in Geobiology and Paleobiology (MGAP), all applicants have to demonstrate:
- Fundamental knowledge in Geobiology, Paleobiology or related fields such as Geology and Biology.
- A B.Sc. degree in Geology, Biology, Physical Geography or a related subject completed before the start of the master program and (in case of international students) recognized by the LMU as equivalent to a German Bachelor's degree.
- English language skills in writing and speaking - suitable for communicating scientific topics and problems.
- Basic German language skills.
There are two deadlines, one for international students with bachelor degrees from non-EU countries (31 March), and one for students with bachelor degrees from Germany and states of the European Union (31 May). First semester courses start in mid-October.
Applications have to be submitted via an online system. Other forms of application cannot be accepted. Students with bachelor degrees from outside of Germany have to provide additional certified copies and documents that will be reviewed by the International Office (see details below).
The application period for non-EU students for the Wintersemester 2021/22 is over. The next possibility to apply for non-EU-graduates will be for the winter semester 2022/23.
EU-applicants can submit their application for Wintersemeseter 2021/22 now until 31 May 2021, using the online application system (click here). Other forms of application cannot be accepted.
Application procedure in detail
The first step is the submission via an online system, in which the documents listed below have to be provided. International students have to send certified copies of some documents by mail in addition to the online application. An admission committee will review your application after the submission deadline. It is possible that you will be invited to an (online) interview.
- CV in English including contact details (address, telephone, email).
- Certified copy of your B.Sc. degree (either in Geology, Biology, Physical Geography or a related subject). If the B.Sc. is not finished at the time of application, provide a transcript of records of at least 150 ETCS (in English or German). The transcript of records (in English or German) must include an explanation of your University's grading system (highest/lowest possible mark). The copy of the B.Sc. degree has to be delivered as soon as possible.
- Essay of 750 - 1.000 words in English in which your motivation, your scientific background and your competencies for participating our master program is explained in detail. Consider this letter as the most important documents of the application procedure. This motivation letter has to be written by the applicant himself, unaided, with all necessary references being cited correctly. Plagiarism will result in the rejection of the application.
- Proof of English language proficiency of level C1 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR), for example by the following language certificates:
- TOEFL (iBT) (Test of English as a Foreign Language, internet-based): at least 95 points.
- IELTS (International English Language Testing Service): minimum of 7.0 points, and no part less than 5.0 points.
- Cambridge CAE (Certificate in Advanced English): Mark "A" or "B".
- A university degree in Geology, Biology or Physical Geography or related subject from a study program held in the English language.
- Proof of German language proficiency of level A1 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). If the proof cannot be provided at the time of application, it has to be handed in latest one year after beginning the studies in the program.
- International students have to provide certified copies and an application form, which will be forwarded by us to the International Office. These documents need to be received at the latest two weeks after the application deadline. Click here for details.
The originals of the same documents have to be presented at the time of actual enrolment.
In case you require a visa, you should not wait to organize the necessary steps until you will receive an acceptance notification. The final admission documents will arrive possibly not before July 2021 (EU applicants).
For additional questions, please contact the MGAP-coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org.
You find the full and official version of the admission regulations (in German) here.